Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday Project

For my Little Scraps of Heaven design team project today I experimented with putting a paper piecing on shirts.

First I applied Wonder Under to my fabric.  When you cut your fabric for this project, you don't want to cut it really small.  Give plenty of room for it to stick to your mat while cutting.  I usually cut my paper just big enough for the what I'm cutting but you don't want to do that with the fabric.
Also, don't choose a pattern with a lot of small details, especially if you are using a Cricut because you just won't get a good cut.  I don't know if some of the other machines would work better, wish I had one to try, lol!
Iron Wonder Under to the wrong side of all of your pieces of material.


Next place them all on your cutting mat and cut.
Now it's time to start ironing them onto the fabric.  I wanted something between the layers of the shirt so I grabbed a thick changing pad.  It was right there and handy.
Now start ironing them on starting with the bottom layer




Now, you should probably finish it off with a zig-zag stitch.  I didn't because I hate sewing on knit shirts.  If I ever do this again, then I would finish them for sure but for this experiment, I didn't.
I think the patterns would look adorable on a quilt!  I also think they would be cute on a tote bag, really the possibilities are endless!
Now for the finished project!  I had to wait to share this project until my little model was at Grandma's house and could show off her new shirt!



For these projects I used the Boys and Their Toys collection & the Sock Monkey pattern.
If you want to see more great projects using adorable patterns from Little Scraps of Heaven Designs be sure and check out our Fanpage on Facebook.

No comments: